Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Psalm Prayed

I prayed this, this morning, fervently.  There has been more judging.  It was already done, and I knew it, and my spiritual father knew it.  But I decided to have closure on it in a phone message yesterday late afternoon. My message will not matter, but it was right to express it.  This morning I wish I had this Psalm to remind the persons of just how awful to judge others, to have fear, to renege and also in that way, to persecute.

However, I see the last lines, and I know what is my task and responsibility, and I pray that my attitude have it as a natural joy:  to thank God and praise Him and to see the beauty of His Creation reflected all about.

It is frightening to think how we might be condemned to an eternity in hell for our wrongs to others, our unkindness, our making judgments when we don't really know a person that well, if at all, really.  But, it is frightening that I need so much more faith to grasp and accept the suffering life that is mine, and that in better times I agreed and offered.  

So I must pull up and out, and attempt to frame a small window today, from start to finish, as I think there should be no carpentry obstacles as with the larger window.  (I await the arrival of a palm nailer as I need something small and impacting to drive some nails into a tight space where the framing gun nor a manual hammer will fit.)

Yesterday morning's tune in my mind ended up being the late George Harrison's song:  "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth").  The Lord shows me that there are good people in the world, and then there are the not so good.  It does not necessarily follow that the good are in churches and the bad, not.  

But, I want to be good, and I must pray for goodness and mercy, and to be God Is Love despite the sense of isolation and not much other in the future than suffering.  If that suffering can become joy, and if I can accept and let go of desiring not suffering, I'll fare better in the short and long run.  I need and ask His Real Presence to increase me faith.

I find the Psalmist's words rather chilling--his request of God to let their table be a trap for them, for God to pour out His indignation upon them.  Well, perhaps that is what it takes for us humans to turn ourselves around some.  Especially those of us who are in churches of any type, or those who are to be alter Christus'.  Aren't we all to be imitators of Christ, to be his followers and disciples?  So this is for each and all of us, this Psalm, if we have done any of the wrongs to anyone, ever.  Yes, it is chilling to find such writings in Scripture.  So often we want to claim the lovelier, the less condemning.

 Ps 69:15-34

Do not let the flood sweep over me,
Answer me, O Lord, for your steadfast love is good;
   according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.
Do not hide your face from your servant,
   for I am in distress—make haste to answer me.

You know the insults I receive,
   and my shame and dishonour;
   my foes are all known to you.
Insults have broken my heart,
   so that I am in despair.
I looked for pity, but there was none;
   and for comforters, but I found none.

Let their table be a trap for them,
   a snare for their allies.
Let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see,
   and make their loins tremble continually.
Pour out your indignation upon them,
   and let your burning anger overtake them.
May their camp be a desolation;
   let no one live in their tents.
For they persecute those whom you have struck down,
   and those whom you have wounded, they attack still more.
Add guilt to their guilt;
   may they have no acquittal from you.
Let them be blotted out of the book of the living;
   let them not be enrolled among the righteous.

I will praise the name of God with a song;
   I will magnify him with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an ox
   or a bull with horns and hoofs.
Let the oppressed see it and be glad;
   you who seek God, let your hearts revive.

Let heaven and earth praise him,
   the seas and everything that moves in them.


No comments: