Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Catholic Hermit Consoled, Uplifted: Zephaniah Speaks


Today's alternate first Scripture reading at Mass uplifts this pained and worn out nothing consecrated Catholic hermit (and mystic--of which no labels matter but am hoping to normalize the term for those who hold misguided notions).

Zephaniah speaks!  I take it to heart, and his words uplift my soul and encourage.  Then I, in turn, can uplift and encourage others in my thoughts and prayers.  

Perhaps, also, will uplift and encourage the young man, Daniel, who is coming today from a distance.  He will help lift some drywall to install and help frame the stairwell opening wall.  Here he comes for the day, and just payment, from a distance which is a bother, this young man of the Church of the Nazarene; and the close-by Catholic youth is too busy playing basketball presumably day and night, to help me for twenty minutes, according to his wary-of-me parish administrator mother.  No help, not for love nor money nor both.

Deus vult!  The Lord wills it!  He often wills what we do not understand, what does not make common sense to us.  And I am reminded to not dissect nor analyze other than to trust that Jesus knows what He is doing, and He is allowing the one young man and not the other.  I am to praise the Lord and follow Him, just go along with whatever transpires in the present moments.

"Be glad and exult with all your heart...
the LORD has removed the judgment against you,
He has turned away your enemies;
The King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst,
you have no further misfortune to fear.....
Fear not...be not discouraged!
The LORD, your God, is in your midst,
a mighty savior;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
and renew you in His love...."
        --from Zephaniah 3

I am hoping to get a few more Christmas cards out in the mail before Daniel arrives.  Plus, I'd like to paint the laundry area baseboards that I cut and primed yesterday.  This morning I realized I need to remeasure and recut after I screw on the dryer socket plate cover.  As Teresa of Avila said that God is amidst the pots and pans, He is surely also amidst the carpentry details.

Upon waking I was first reminded of the vision dream over 21 years ago on the eve of my confirmation as a Roman Catholic.  I was shown a seemingly endless passageway made of flat stones--pathway, walls, rooms on either side of Gothic arched hallway.  I was shown into some of the rooms and was let known that I could enter, study, learn, be taught and then move on through the passageway.  I did not need to stop at every room; but I was to proceed.

Now I must trust in what is next, in what area of passageway or through and into another.  I do not see now, the doorways to rooms, right and left, nor do I see the arches or down the length of passage.  I only see the stones paving the ground upon which I must try to keep walking onward in blind faith yet knowing in that same faith that the Lord is leading with loving assurance.

It is all very good indeed in the soul and spirit.  My body is weary, true; and the way forward may seem rugged simply and solely in the temporal aspects.  My only effort is to flow onward through space and time while sensing the Lord with me, in my midst...but actually my being in His Midst.

"The LORD, your God, is in your midst, a might savior...."




No comments: