Sunday, September 1, 2024

The Catholic Hermit: Joyful Hermit Loves this Poet-Saint!

 

I am finding increasingly, that I so love St. Nerses Chnorhali, 12th C. Armenian patriarch, a mystic poet and holy saint!  Following is Part II of his "Jesus Only Begotten Son of the Father":


May my gifts please You


I was similar to the bad servant,

Who for the talents entrusted does not earn anything;

And even surpassing it,

Because I lost the gift of grace.


I did not duplicate your talent,

Neither quadruple nor increase by five,

So that I reign completely

The ten cities of the senses.


But I buried my only talent underground,

By packing it up in the veil of vices;

I did not put the money at the bank

So you might ask for interest....


To you, O Savior of my soul,

I want to cry for these words:

'Since it is still in my hands to do good,

Give me the grace to please you.


So I will hear the joyful sentence

Like the faithful servant:

Enter the Heavenly House,

In the joy of your Lord!


No comments: