Monday, April 19, 2021

Catholic Christian Hermit: LIfe-changing words from Origen

 I found these words to be inspirational plus practically helpful in making changes in my own life.  Perhaps they will be profoundly changing for others, as well.  I realize to no let my own attitudes enslave me, nor the attitudes, moods of others or to let situations enslave me, as well.  Jesus is my Master; I must follow Him as best I can, and not droop with whatever is going on around me.


Origen (c.185-253)

priest and theologian

Homilies on Exodus, no. 12, 4

"If you remain in my word (…) the truth will set you free"

“The Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom” (2 Cor 3:17) (…) But how can we find this freedom who are slaves of this world, slaves of money, slaves of fleshly desires? It is true that I strive to amend and judge myself; I condemn my faults. And on their part, let those who hear me examine the thoughts of their own hearts. But let me mention that, insofar as I am bound by one of these attachments, I have not been converted to the Lord nor attained true freedom, since such matters and preoccupations still have power to hold me (…). As we know, it is written that: “A person is a slave of whatever overcomes him” (2 Pt 2:19). Now, even if I am not overcome by love of money, even if I am not bound by concern for possessions and riches, yet I am hungry for acclaim and anxious for human glory when I take account of the regard shown me by others and of what they say about me, when I worry about what someone thinks of me, about someone else's estimation, when I am afraid to displease one and want to please another. So long as I have these preoccupations, I am their slave. Yet I should like to make an effort to set myself free from them and try to break free from the yoke of this shameful slavery and attain the liberty Saint Paul tells us about: “You were called for freedom; do not become slaves to human beings” (Gal 5:13; 1 Cor 7:23). But who will gain this freedom for me? Who will deliver me from this shameful slavery if not he who said: “If the Son sets you free, then you are free indeed” (…) So let us faithfully serve and “love the Lord our God with all our heart, with all our soul and with all our strength” (Mk 12:30), so that we may merit to receive the gift of freedom from our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: