Thursday, July 28, 2016

Catholic Hermit: God Guides Our Steps and Paths



I found this selection of Scripture in an old draft file.  These are the words the Lord gave to the prophet Isaiah, from Chapter 30.

"He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry;
when he hears it, he will answer you.
Though the Lord may give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction,
yet your Teacher will not hide himself any more,
but your eyes shall see your Teacher.
And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left,
your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,
'This is the way; walk in it.'"

Not only as a nothing consecrated Catholic hermit, but as a human Christian, imperfect yet striving after Christ--I love these verses!

Especially right now, for at this very minute, 29 years ago, my body had undergone 7 hours of back surgery and was in recovery--the only patient remaining with a nurse by my side, readying to send me to my room.

But something went wrong.  I stopped breathing; my heart ceased beating.

I knew what was happening soon enough.  The Lord let me know. It was the most incredible experience of my life, was this death.

Obviously, I was sent back by God and had to undergo another six hours of surgery--the surgeon having been called back to the hospital to try to save my life, not knowing exactly what had gone wrong.

I had planned to write about this death experience and the interior aspects to it, of the miracles involved in each detail.  But of course, the Lord is emphasizing to me all the more, right now, that I am to live in the Order of the Present Moment, just as I had those years ago.  Even planning to write something is planning too much.

As I shared in the rather trivial, previous post, my laptop has for the third time lost its ability to charge.  Right now, it is lowing the last vestiges of battery power.  I will not be writing of the amazing events of the afternoon, night, and early morning of July 28 and 29, 1987.

Perhaps I will write of it in a few days.  I was going to write of it a year ago, and I think I wrote some of the lead-up to it, which has an effect on the power of the miraculous details that unfolded.  

Well, I'll try to write it when (and if!) the laptop gets repaired or replaced.  In the meantime, the above verses from Isaiah really impact my mind, heart, and soul this evening. I will be praying and praising God for the various persons I unexpectedly met in a most close-encounter, pivotal night nearly three decades ago.

Give God all glory in all things of earth and heaven.

No comments: