Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Let-Go Novena and Two Other Prayer Intentions


I enjoyed a phone conversation last evening with a young woman who is also wife, mother, daugh- ter and sister.  When she married over five years ago, her hus- band had a job about four or more hours' drive from her par- ents and siblings.  Now with two child- ren of her own, her parents continue to apply pressure that she should live close to them.  They persist that she is unhappy where she is and in her marriage.  They resent she does not visit them often nor move back.

Her parents do not visit her.  Perhaps this is due to their having several younger children.  But it is their mindset that all their children should remain in their area, and the young woman is the eldest.  The parents simply cannot let go and have enlisted others with hopes to influence her.  The stress is horrible upon a young woman who has struggled with the transition, as it is, with marriage, living in a more remote area, giving birth to two babies, and now burdened with what has become unhealthy and sometimes nasty, parental pressure.

I had told her about the Furniture Novena and its marvelous success...and being so simple and meaningful a prayer.  We decided to pray together for the intention that her parents learn to let go:  let her be the adult, married woman and mother that she is.  So we devised the Let-Go Novena. 


Since her life is burdensome and serious from facets of her parents' subterfuge (although she has compassion for their sense of loss of control), we felt she needed some kind of letting go in a fun way.  She bakes prize-winning cookies, so she suggested she bake cookies once a week for nine weeks, and she will let them go to whoever God brings to her mind to gift them.

What flashed in my mind as to my part, came after marvelous lessons in a car service center and in a Lowe's (home project store).  I was reminded that I have not "let go" of the many workers who have cheated me and taken advantage financially, in the past year in particular.  While it is good to be prudent, I had developed an attitude of mistrust and assumption in situations, but also I kept regurgitating the memories of the many who had "ripped me off."  So I said I will practice letting go of these past situations for nine weeks--that it would probably take me awhile to let go of what had become an assumed attitude. 

Then she thought of two other intentions.  One is for a man she knows who is worn out with working long hours and who snapped at a customer and is on probation with his job.  He is a lovely, Christian man and not typical of him to lose his temper.  So we thought something very positive as a prayer effort would be good.
 
She knits baby hats, so she is going to knit some "fun" ones, and think of him as she does so.  I said I will plant the 19 lovely, purple verbena plants I got on clearance, as my prayer of uplift for him.

The other is for a woman who wants to marry and have children but feels she is unattractive due to being overweight.   My young friend knows this woman from college days; she knows the woman is also depressed due childhood memories of her father not being faithful to her mother.  So the idea popped into our thoughts to simply light a candle daily and pray for the friend's spirit to be uplifted and for His Real Presence to lighten the loneliness and light up her life.  Who knows?  May God's be done regarding an earthly husband in her life!

We have great anticipation and joy in beginning these prayers today.  What fun!  His Real Presence and us together--praising and praying!

A long-time friend emailed last night that what I'd written to her of my letting go lessons--particularly the Lowe's incident--reminded her of the hymn "I Surrender All."  I looked it up, as I had forgotten this classic, written by a humble, Midwest art teacher-turned-evangelist in the early 1900's.  

The lyrics are lovely.  I even listened to it on YouTube and watched the video of Oprah Winfrey's love of this hymn (and why her connection with it).  I've decided for my part of the Let-Go Novena, that I will listen to this hymn each day for nine weeks as a beautiful prayer for myself and others to let go of what hinders us from full surrender to His Real Presence in all aspects of our bodies, minds, hearts and souls.




I Surrender All 
by Judson W. Van DeVenter 


  1. All to Jesus I surrender;
    All to Him I freely give;
    I will ever love and trust Him,
    In His presence daily live.
    • Refrain:
      I surrender all,
      I surrender all;
      All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
      I surrender all.
  2. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Humbly at His feet I bow,
    Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
    Take me, Jesus, take me now.
  3. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
    Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
    Truly know that Thou art mine.
  4. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Lord, I give myself to Thee;
    Fill me with Thy love and power;
    Let Thy blessing fall on me.
  5. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Now I feel the sacred flame.
    Oh, the joy of full salvation!
    Glory, glory, to His Name!


No comments: