Monday, July 7, 2014

Awakening to the Night Praises


How quickly and easily to forget something good and simple.

The other day after reading a Psalm, there was the reminder to praise God upon waking "at midnight".  The Psalm mentioned the psalmist doing that.  So I told myself again to remember to do that--not that I always awaken at a certain time.  But at first awakening tonight, I already forgot.

I always am awakened sometime in the night by my life-long companion and teaching aid:  intractable, physical pain.  Tonight it was 3 a.m. awakening, which is a good hour or "watch" of the night because it reminds me of the hour of mercy which is 3 p.m.  Turning to the daily Scripture readings, the Psalm happened to contain a reminder to praise God.

His Real Presence helps us so much when we desire to improve our spiritual practices...but forget!
Psalm 145: 1-2

I will extol you, my God and King,
   and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day I will bless you,
   and praise your name for ever and ever. 


This and other Scriptures speak to us personally.  At least I always have taken them into my heart and considered, especially after I was being removed more and more from the world years ago after car accident and earthly spouse left, and surgery results brought disability to continue a career.  

Scripture began to be opened up to me in a most personal way, and I pray the Living Word becomes thus to all of us.  That is one aspect I have learned as a result of the mystical state during Mass:  the power of His Real Presence is very much alive and interactive, and desirous of our utmost devotion, in the Scriptures.  

The Holy Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit are in the Word and the Word dwells in us and us in the Living Word:  His Real Presence.

Let us take delight in and receive His grace and love whenever we hear or read or think upon His Real Presence within His Living Word, the Scriptures.

I am praising God in the night, right now, and as the first vestiges of daylight dawns.  I praise Him silently, in my heart that is His Heart, as we dwell in His Real Presence, bound by His Living Word as a Sacrament of praise, within, flowing out.

God bless His Real Presence in us (and us in Him)!

 

No comments: