Sunday, February 9, 2020

Catholic Hermit: Humility Best for Hermits


Yesterday this nothing consecrated (at least in Christ and to be determined by Bishop if in the life of the Church) Catholic hermit had to finally humbly accept that getting out of bed to do any bit of manual labor was not what the Lord was allowing.  In fact, had to take medication every 3 hours rather than my having been successfully stretching it to every 4-5 hours.  No pride allowed, not even in pain management efforts!  

Humility is especially important for hermits.  Living in solitude, the devil can tempt with various devious ways to incite pride in us hermits; the devil despises our ever-striving for union with Christ and in living, such as the likes of me, more hidden than ever in a nondescript dwelling, my hermitage:  Solus Deus (God Alone).

Thus, the second Reading of today's Mass, Sunday's worship liturgy, is excellent for hermits as we are called to witness to the mystery of Christ in the Church.  We are to devote our lives to the praise of God and in prayer for the salvation of the world [and all souls in this world and in purgatory].  We are to remain hidden from the eyes of men [others, pass unnoticed], in stricter separation from the world, and to silently preach Christ by our lives lived in the solitude of silence.

The words of St. Paul in his First Letter to the Corinthians, 2:1-5, remind of what is crucially purposeful for hermits (and all Christians).  I keep these words of the Apostle Paul closely within my mind, heart, and soul as I rise and dress, and praise God and pray for all, on this beautiful day of the Lord's Rest.

"When I came to you, brothers and sisters, proclaiming the mystery of God, I did not come with sublimity of words or of wisdom.  For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.  I came to you in weakness and fear and much trembling, and my message and my proclamation were not with persuasive [words of] wisdom, but with a demonstration of spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God."

God bless His Real Presence in us!  Little children, let us love God in Himself, and love others as God loves, as God loves us all!



No comments: