Sunday, January 26, 2020

Catholic Hermit: Benedict XVI on Conversion of St. Paul


Today has been one of prayer and reflection, especially as I was pushing this temporal body to be up from bed at least to prime paint the final two shorter walls in the room that is being designated for the saints.  I pondered 22 years ago today in which I was busy making a soup I called Conversion of St. Paul Vegetable Soup.  It was for an outreach ministry that the Virgin Mary instructed me to form--in what ways, format, in various details.  While the Lord plucked me out after it was well-established and growing with volunteers galore and no shortage of people needing "a touch of love," the core of volunteers plus new ones over the years, have continued the outreach.  Praise God Almighty!

The Lord removed me from this beautiful ministry, in His omniscience.  It had been miraculous in the 20 months from starting it in my kitchen (my son in high school but yet at home, daughters in college), but grew so rapidly that I had to move it to a convent kitchen, then a parish kitchen, then a parish school's large kitchen.  by the second weekend of my son and myself delivering soups, muffins, and a dessert or fruit, the list of recipients grew, and a couple people had noticed me taking something up to a door of a poor person's home--so had first two sets of volunteers, as they involved their children, as well.

I found out that currently they are in need of another kitchen base crew, one weekend a month.  (After 22 years, it has become as a well-oiled machine, my contact there in the home town texted me, but also the prayer need.  One crew had to pull out due to the husband and wife each having terrible health concerns arise within weeks of one another. Please pray for this couple and their children!)

Looking back can be quite helpful, at times.  When the glance back is for reflection and loving delight, despite how at the time matters can seem so distressing as if to crush us.  Had it not been for God pulling me out in His omniscience (I did not want to have to let it go!), I'd not have known that to which He was calling me:  the hermit vocation.  Also, looking back, I realize my body could not have kept up that active work; as it was, I'd have the pain sieges, and that taxed the volunteers until we had all the "bugs" worked out.  It was not long that we were serving 500 quarts of soup, had teams of bakers, teams of delivery persons, cooks, clean up, and a most important contingent: the prayer supporters.

Well, that was then, and the Lord let me know that was something I needed to do for him, amidst other tasks in the line of active works of mercy, while my last child still at home and to teach me many aspects of the spiritual life from the more temporal spiritual perspective.  But then He turned me to the vocation He chose for me, and over the years I have come to appreciate just how God knows what He wills for us and gets us set on the path, often long before we grasp His incredible wisdom and love for us.

I learned very much many aspects of the spiritual life in those 19 months, and in years prior; but the soup kitchen phase was peak instruction in so many facets, including the working of the devil when we are closing in on doing God's will and working together for the greater good of God's children.  All, including the delegating of tasks, of keeping utmost humility, of praising God and praying our way through, of the miracles that boosted us--more than once we had soup "appear" when the huge pot was emptying quickly, providing just enough to fill all the quarts needed for delivery! We had monetary donations come in, just when something extra was needed, or a civic group offer to gift with a major donation--enough to purchase some needed restaurant equipment.

But we are in the Order of the Present Moment, and the reminiscing was lovely, the praying for the needs of the current volunteers and the recipients, as well as praising God for all the blessings He has provided all of us in our lives, and for the goodness of people gathering still to prepare soup, and bakers to bake muffins and desserts--to feed with love all those who need a "touch of love."  The present moment of this 2020 Conversion of St. Paul, found me reading this selection Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI offered in a general audience in 2006.

"'I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me'" (Galatians 2:20)

Paul's encounter with Christ on the road to Damascus literally revolutionized his life.... Thus, it is important to realize what a deep effect Jesus Christ can have on a person's life, hence, also in our own lives....  How does a human being's encounter with Christ occur?  And of what does the relationship that stems from it consist?

"Paul helps us to understand the absolutely basic and irreplaceable value of faith.  This is what he wrote in his Letter to the Romans:  'We hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law' (3:28).  This is what he also wrote in his Letter to the Galatians: 'Man is not justified by works of the law but only through faith in Jesus Christ' 92:16)....  

"'Being justified' means being made righteous, that is, being accepted by God's merciful justice to enter into communion with Him and, consequently, to be able to establish a far more genuine relationship with all our brethren; and this takes place on the basis of the complete forgiveness of our sins.  

"Well, Paul states with absolute clarity that this condition of life does not depend on our possible good works but on the pure grace of God:  'We are justified by His grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus' (Rom 3:24)." 


God bless His Real Presence in us!  Thank you, St. Paul, for being obedient to God's call and so giving yourself fully in surrender to Christ, the rest of your life and unto this day!

No comments: