Thursday, March 9, 2023

Christian Catholic Mystic Hermit: A Poem Inspired, Penned to Uplift the Soul



The following was written, it is purported, by a female "saint" in the Catholic church. It is deep and rich, beautiful, and meaningful.  It was very appropriate to what I've been trying to deal with lately, when I read it late yesterday. I'm not sure it actually was written by the person it is ascribed to, or if so,  perhaps definitely was inspired, divinely written, as it transcends the usual writing of humans, or seems to me.  Quite meaningful, deep, and beautiful in content and structure, the phrasing and tonality of the words themselves, placed together to create such a powerful poem that expresses all that others at some time or other in their lives, they feel and experience.


I'm just not sure the person actually wrote it, as often things get ascribed to the persons after they are canonized, to enhance the position of being saints, or if the person did write it, then that person would be the first to say this is inspired writing by the Holy Spirit.  

I do find myself being jolted by it in that I do need to beg God all the more to lift me out of the deep sadness--unless He still wants me to experience the sadness He feels always even if concurrently with the joys He feels now and on-going.  For humanity sorrowfully mistreats God Himself, as well as often one another of humanity and the created world, as well, even if by ignoring.  

But far better to write of what God inspires, or write of the situations and of the world and creatures around us, than to be in the crucible of complaining as I have been caught in that crucible for awhile, as well as in overload of temporal, physical, bodily pain.

Regardless, you might really find the following "poem" to be meaningful.  You might connect with it, or may have in the past, as well.


Jesus Crucified, transform my weakness into omnipotence.

When pain overwhelms my soul, And the horizon darkens like night, And the heart is torn with the torment of suffering, Jesus Crucified, You are my strength. When the soul, dimmed with pain, Exerts itself in battle without respite, And the heart is in agony and torment, Jesus Crucified, You are the hope of my salvation. And so the days pass, As the soul bathes in a sea of bitterness, And the heart dissolves in tears, Jesus Crucified, You shine for me like the dawn. And when the cup of bitterness brims over, And all things conspire against her, And the soul goes down to the Garden of Olives, Jesus Crucified, in You is my defense. When the soul, conscious of its innocence, Accepts these dispensations from God, The heart can then repay hurts with love. Jesus Crucified, transform my weakness into omnipotence.


(Ascribed as from the pen of the late, Jesus-love focused and suffering, thus inspiring to me, Faustina Kowalska.)


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a hermit in the world, do you experience alot of ostracism by church members?

Christian Mystic said...

I just found this comment; sorry it has been quite awhile. Yes, I have found much ostracism by church members in the past. I have ceased having that situation by taking up the mantle of the ancient hermits of the desert, who I realized were not members of parishes but rather lived in their hermitages out a distance, and kept themselves in service to God, the Church, the Body of Christ, in suffering and prayer in silence of solitude, in penance and prayer that of being unseen and unknown. My life has since been vastly improved in His Real Presence, in love, faith, hope and in service of His Church and His Life of beingness and oneneess. God bless His Real Presence in you, dear Anonymous. I am no longer a hermit of "the world" so to speak, but a hermit of His Sacred Heart!