Friday, January 18, 2019

Catholic Hermit: Love of Hebrews, Love of God



Photo taken en route to current yet temporary location
This nothing consecrated Catholic hermit loves the Letter to the Hebrews.

The daily Mass' first Scripture readings are currently of Hebrews.  My 
love of this particular portion of the New Testament was kindled in the summer of 1987 when for three months confined to a hospital bed in small family room.  I'd had double back surgeries with dying-and-being-sent-back into body by God in between the surgeries.  

My parents stayed and cared for me and my three young children--the Holy Spirit keeping watch and providing holy love.  I had the Bible on tape cassettes, and I'd listen to this particular "letter" repeatedly.  I recognized in it a lyrical and mystical quality that captivated my heart and soul.  Captivated--yes--I remain to this day.

"The Holy Spirit says:
Oh, that today you would hear his voice,
'Harden not your hearts as at the rebellion
in the day of testing in the desert,
where your ancestors tested and tried me
and saw my works for forty years.
Because of this I was provoked with that generation
and I said, "They have always been of erring heart,
and they do not know my ways."
As I swore in my wrath,
"They shall not enter into my rest."'


"Take care, brothers and sisters,
that none of you may have an evil and
unfaithful heart, so as to forsake the
living God.
Encourage yourselves daily while it is still 'today,' so that none of you may grow hardened by the deceit of sin.  We have become partners of Christ if only we hold the beginning of the reality firm until the end."

I've been in the new, temporary quarters for a week and a day.  There has been a dream--unusual and direct--which is a guidance and reassurance that a "birth" is to take place.  It will be both temporal and spiritual, contemplative, in nature.  Someone other will be the one to decide when to bring the newborn that was declared dead, to life.

Oddly enough, a cousin called wanting some assistance with interpreting a dream she'd had involving her experiencing dying, with those around her unable to hear her speak to them.  I advised her to pray before sleeping that night, asking the Holy Spirit if she is interpreting the message correctly.  She was awakened in the night with a thought put to her which more fully gave the meaning.  Not only should she be fully present and listening to those around her, but more so, it is those close to her and near, who are not listening nor taking note of her--as if she was dead in their midst.

Then a cousin's daughter emailed and asked if she could call to discuss some spiritual aspects occurring in her life.  We had not spoken in a few years.  She said I was the only one she knew who could understand and help her with such spiritual matters.  She's had demonic dreams lately.  We talked, and I gave her what tips I've learned from lived experience in addition to Scripture and the reading I've done of the mystics and their spiritual progression through the tricks and deceptions of the devil.  My main encouragement was to turn all to positive when dealing with the evil one who is allowed access to certain levels of our bodies, minds, and hearts.  But the devil is not allowed to affect our intellects and wills unless we allow.  Regardless, she felt much better.  

(Perhaps I should write more in depth of the conversation, of my tips and experiences with demonic dreams and interference?  I will pray about this--ask the Holy Spirit to let me know in some way, for my days now continue with physical pain as well as distraction while keeping up with the temporal real estate market in the area that thus far seems the most prudent to continue seeking a place to be solus Deus, to live, learn, and love.  Just this morning I was reminded of the time years ago that I was told the purpose of life is to love, to love to learn to love.  I've written about that experience in past blogs--perhaps not even in this Catholic Hermit blog.  But the message is simple enough, in itself.)

As to the selection from Hebrews, above, there is much that could be detailed.  However, the words that have drawn me repeatedly, are these:

Encourage yourselves daily while it is
still 'today,' so that none of you may grow 
hardened by the deceit of sin.  

Sometimes I most remember the "Encourage yourselves daily while it is still today" part.  But tonight I remind myself all the more that the reason we ought encourage ourselves before another night or day passes, is so that we do not become hardened by sin--by the deceit that so marks sin.  Sin deceives our rational thinking, deceives our emotions, and deceit blinds us into wrong doings.

As well, hold firm to the reality--that we have become partners of, with, and in Christ--and hold firm to this reality until the "end" of our earthly days and nights that flow us into eternal life.  These Living Words are invaluable guidance and encouragement.

I cling to the Scriptures increasingly in my "fog of unknowing" as to what, where, or when next in this phase of temporal wandering some, then waiting, then wandering, and now waiting once again.  It is a marvelous phase--as I remind myself to turn all to positive, all to God, to smile and be joyful in the hilarity of its being temporary yet quite humbling and instructive.  I am nothing; God is All.

God bless His Real Presence in us!  




No comments: