Saturday, September 15, 2018

Catholic Hermit: Tending the Temporal


Been a week of this Catholic hermit's having to tend to the temporal.  More interfacing with those in business and my responsibilities of required paperwork, major decisions, and follow through to make the transition flow.

Electrician coming tomorrow as a favor, as his next couple of weeks filled with scheduled jobs out in civilization.  Mark's such a good guy!  The Lord has provided for me, with the few extremely good and trustworthy souls dotted in a sea of those in the temporal and business world who have veered some from well-calibrated moral compasses.

Just a half-hour of some minor fixes, of which I was going to do part of them.  Four outlets are registering as having "reverse polarity."  I was going to tend to that simple fix, myself, but upon removing outlet covers and pulling them out to have a look, they are wired correctly.  Via phone, Mark is surmising perhaps some minor glitch with the GFI outlet from which the other four are on same circuit.  If not, just an oddity.  I used my electric outlet detector, and it does show reverse polarity.  Strange.

Two brand new wall heaters in upstairs' bedrooms not turning on. Another oddity as they were operable three months ago, although never have had to use them other than making sure they worked.  At worse, will have to purchase two more--but likely a minor issue with a breaker in panel box needing to be joggled or replaced.

A couple hot wires to be capped, and some switch plates and box covers.  I might head under house to do that.  I think I have some spare outlet box plates around here.

In the midst of tending the temporal and interfacing with those whose lives exist nearly or perhaps fully in the temporal (I don't know the inner workings of anyone else's thoughts or souls nor do they know mine), prayer and penance continue to be pivotal and primary foci, in addition to praising God.

Prayer concerns never cease from being brought to my attention and desire to pray, thus, for each and all either via email or (rare) phone call, or from what I see through my little window to the world, this laptop, or from what the Lord Himself brings to me in dreams, visions or inner thought through out the day.  

Especially, this week, the interfacing with those people doing their business, has brought the need for all types of prayer concerns, as processes evolve and unfold.

A man this morning knocked at Te Deum Hermitage back door.  He had been seeking me out in the gardens, but I was at that moment inside.  He does not like leaving in clay pot his donation for whatever vegetables and/or fruit he wants from the produce table by the road; he prefers to give it to me directly, and in that way has a chance for a bit of conversation.  He so enjoys the interchange.  I can sense it easily with him, and he readily says he so loves the brief conversation.  He says I uplift him and make him laugh.  Well, I'm thankful to the Lord for using me in whatever ways helpful to humanity.

Am adapting--and it is a process--to returning to far less manual labor.  I must pray for guidance and wisdom in this, as too little manual labor is a detriment to my constant back and neck pain.  I will always have to do more than less; but the Lord has taught me how simply and lovingly He and I can communicate as prayer, while I garden or construct or plumb or wire or install insulation or do a dump run.

There is plenty of occasion daily and nightly for me to be in stillness and silence of body and mind, especially during days of pain siege or in the middle of the night, simply being awakened by my constant temporal pal, Pain, for a few hours of conscious time on the Cross with Jesus.

So many lines and sections of Scripture this week, also, have I been "tending".  Perhaps I will highlight some of them by writing the thoughts and applications they stir within my body, mind, heart and spirit.  Perhaps I will see what some other present moment, or day brings.  It is delightful to often and most of the time, hold dear and savor the Living Word rather than to go through the (although good and helpful) exercise of Scriptural exegesis.

His Living Word and His Real Presence are ever with us, as we are through, with, and in Him.

No comments: