Sunday, September 10, 2017

Catholic Hermit: Ever the Law Above All Others


This morning I read the second reading for Sunday Mass: Romans 13: 8-10.

The Living Word cuts to the core and makes very clear the daily and life-long direction in our lives.  We are to follow God's law, and again we are reminded that Love fulfills the law.

"Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another;
for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
The commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill;
you shall not steal; you shall not covet,' and whatever other 
commandment there may be, are summed up in this saying,
[namely] 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'
Love does no evil to the neighbor, hence, 
love is the fulfillment of the law..'"

As a human and as a consecrated Catholic hermit, I repeatedly appreciate the Scripture, the Living Word of God, focusing me on what is ultimate in fulfilling our earthly sojourns toward union with God.  It is love.

I also note the simple point made: Love does no evil to the neighbor.

There are all types of evil that we can do--beyond what might come to mind in ways that we can seek to excuse ourselves.  But negative thoughts of others, or detracting, or being disagreeable, or feeling resentment, or taking issue with others' thoughts and ideas--all that can be a type of evil for it harms in one way or another not only the other person, but it wastes one's own time and talent in busying about what others are or are not doing, saying, thinking, writing, or feeling.

A couple weeks ago I happened to learn what happened to a woman who was canonically approved to the hermit life by her bishop.  She seemed to have disappeared, and I had been concerned all along--although truly none of my business!  I had been concerned due to what a young priest mentioned, proudly enough, as the bishop's and the woman's take on hermit life.  It was quite austere and rigid; and the whole process occurred within a few months of the bishop's arrival, within his first year in the diocese.

As it has turned out, the woman ceased to be a hermit nearly four years ago.  Nothing was ever noted, which made me wonder if those who go through the public profession complete with videotaped Mass and ceremony, announcement in diocese paper, radio interview, proclamation by the bishop--well, what if the person ceases to be a hermit of the canonical (CL603) variety?  

In the meantime, the bishop has canonically approved some older women, and this time with some rather unusual living arrangements that diverge from the first woman's rather romanticized hermit life style (although that was not adhered to for long, much to my relief for I had been concerned with what was imposed or perhaps that she decided was hermit-like, of which not at all practical nor feasible for long in present moment existence, culturally, environmentally, developmentally, or otherwise).

Then I read something in the Living Word of God, in which St. Paul wrote to the Thessalonians, and in part he admonished to not be involved in others' affairs.  And now today, I read the simple truth that loving one another is the fulfillment of the law. Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another.

So I don't need to be concerned about how or what goes on with other hermits, or be concerned when I perceive someone is attempting a vocation when too young or in too austere a manner, or conversely perhaps not in solitude that much, or approved by someone who does not know the person well nor know the hermit vocation well, either.  

Those are my perceptions, fact though they may be, from viewing that which is rather pointless to observe; and it really is not my business nor does it matter, for the situations all right themselves sooner or later.  No harm done, really, for it was a lot of initial publicity involving various clerics and parishioners and reporters--but yet also was sincerely undertaken; and I'm sure it was all done in love, regardless.

And that is all I need to take from any situation, as well as what I need to give to any situation: Love.

I used to get wrought up when there would be inconsistencies or wrongs covered over, particularly when church laws and decisions were not being upheld, or when civil laws were not being upheld such as involving priests committing sex crimes or in matters--church laws or bishop counsel decisions not adhered to or other issues--far less crucial as that. 

I suppose it was my not trusting in the omnipotence of God to handle matters of His Church; and I do think my reactions and upsets and speaking out or writing letters, or in whatever means I tried to right wrongs according to canon laws or otherwise--missed the key element for which Jesus was adamant: the law above all laws is God's law, and God's law is the law of love.

When I view all with love (and that means thinking nor doing any form of even the most subtlest of negative or detracting "evils"), I am united with Christ, remaining in His Love, and thus the concerns are no longer issues, as there is something far greater to consider: Love.  God Is Love.  And God has it all worked out for us and for His and our Church, as well as for our individual souls.

Frankly, the young woman spent a couple years or less trying to live out a rather romanticized, austere version of a hermit existence, yet living with her parents, had a little back yard hut in wooded area, filled with rather gory art and an immense and bloody crucifix.  She prayed there in solitude for hours as well as in parishes during the day.  She had and still has a true sincerity and genuine love of Jesus, obvious by what she's written--filled with a yearning for and delight in Jesus.  And while since she is exploring where other she fits into God's realm here on earth and desires lovingly to be of service to others--well, it all will be well and all shall be well!  (St. Julian of Norwich grasped this reality:  All is well and all shall be well....)

When we love one another, and love as in Christ's love, there is not the worry or concern that can easily verge into fretting or forming opinions one way or another, or of being distracted from our own living out the law of love.  For we are to, ourselves, grasp and live out the love in Christ as He loves; and in Christ, all are taken care of one way or another according to His purposes and will.

How far from other types of law is God's law of love, the fulfillment of all laws: to love God and to love one another!

It will remain a very good and necessary exercise for me to consider all aspects of even the most deceptive and subtle ways in which I can do evil to others--ways that I'd not considered as evil but truly are or can be!  That which is not resting within Christ's love be it thought, word, or deed, can become an evil in the smallest degree.

Now, I'm not going to become scrupulous in turning over every little thought, word, or deed to a consuming level. But it will be a good exercise to examine the same now and then, for a few days here, or at least some hours--and just see what's what, within.  

For one thing, if I get upset over what others do or say, or if I perceive a wrong course of action but am not the one making the decisions--well, then it is a cue that I am involving myself in others' affairs, thoughts, opinions or actions when I am to be involving myself in Christ, and in Christ am to remain in His love and to live the law that fulfills all laws: to love!

When I live the law of love, I must admit that weights and concerns and frustrations and temptation to get worked up over what others are doing, right or wrong--are lifted and dissolved like no more than the little soap bubbles that float and quickly pop out of sight.  Or like the many breaths that one breathes and then realizes did not even notice taking breaths (of which we rarely do take notice of our intake of breaths every moment or so, hour after hour, day after day, year after year).

God bless His Real Presence in us!  Am so thankful for the couple who brings me His Real Presence in the consecrated Host each Sunday morning!  

No comments: